Sunday, December 11, 2011

Life

I'm not much one for long sharing conversations that aren't exactly delightful.  Well, not when I'm the one doing the sharing.  Except in some situations.  But I'm losing my point.  Here's the deal: I don't feel like having this conversation with anybody else, so just act like we're having it and we'll call it a day.

You: Hey Kyle, what's up.
Me: Oh, not too much.  Well, except for one thing.  I decided not to continue with my internship.
You:  What?  Really?
Me: Yup.
You: So what does this mean?
Me: Well, I decided I didn't want to be a teacher and if you're not really into it, being in the classroom can kinda suck.
You: Oh.  You don't want to be a teacher?  I thought you were liking it.  What changed?
Me: Not to get into all the extensive details, but it's just not the job for me.  While I enjoyed working with children and spreading knowledge is great, I'm just not passionate about teaching like I would need to be to do the job well and to not have it drive me crazy.
You: When did this happen?
Me: I realized it quite quickly this year (as early as September), but I figured I could push through for the rest of the year and it wouldn't kill me.  But, it was beginning to effect my performance in the classroom and I was becoming somewhat miserable.  Not great for me or for my students.
You: You're sure it wasn't just your placement?  Maybe there's a better fit for you.
Me: There were great parts and bad parts about my placement, but the placement didn't drive me away from the job.  I was working with a great teacher and a group of kids for whom I genuinely cared.  Leaving my classroom behind was one of the worst parts about leaving my internship.
You: Are you alright?  With everything?
Me: Yup.  I am now.
You: Are you sure, because-
Me: Yup.  Quite sure.  I have parental support to keep me safe and I'm happier now than I've been in a good few months.
You: So... what are you going to do with your life?
Me: I'm not sure yet.  I have lots of ideas bouncing around in my head - some practical, some not so much.  The three possibilities seem to be do something in education that isn't teaching with my current degree, go back to school and get a different degree (bachelors or masters), or be that random person in a field entirely unrelated to my degree.  I'm visiting some advisers who know more about what my degree can get me and what I would need to pursue a different career track to figure this out.
You: Well, that seems easy enough to understand.  I'm glad you've shared this with me.  Let's talk about more entertaining topics now.  You're probably bored with this one as you've likely needed to have this conversation too many times.
Me: Jolly good.  How's life?

Well, that's that.  Let me reiterate - I'm fine.  I have a million ideas as to what I'd like to do with my life, and I have no idea which one I might pick.  But I'm me.  I'm not freaking out about this.  I'm taking things one step at a time and it's working out fine.  I'll preemptively thank you for your concerns and well-wishes, but I assure you I'm quite pleased with my decision and I'm looking forward to figuring things out.  I'll keep you all posted as soon as I know things.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're okay with it! I keep changing my mind in terms of careers as well, so, I know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's like you're in my head! Well, good conversation.

    And I totally understand about teaching. You have to love it to not be miserable doing it. If I knew I'd signed up to this teaching gig for the foreseeable future I'd be feeling pretty miserable about it too.

    ... Yupp I think that's about it. I shall talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that it didn't pan out, but good to hear that you realized it early! My vote would be for grad school. It will boost your resume and it's much easier to do it now than to wait until after you start a career (assuming you know what you want to do).

    Also, "affect" is spelled with an 'a'. ;)

    ReplyDelete